So nice to meet you!!
According to my birth certificate, I’m Erminia Pedata, but you can call me Ermy.
I’m a linguist, a teacher and an insatiable learner with an unstoppable creative spirit who, a few years ago, decided to begin her personal take on language teaching and share her gifts and talents by founding The Language Rose.
For as long as I can remember, I have always been a multi-passionate individual devoted to share her different interests (languages, art, drama, dance, teaching, coaching…) with other people to help them to find their own unique passions and life path.
This is why I decided to become a qualified teacher and teach not only my mother tongue but also all the languages that I have learned throughout my life.
The Language Rose, just like the wind rose (the symbol that summarizes information about the wind directions), symbolizes all the languages I can speak and teach (Italian, English, French, Spanish) and the different paths and directions I have explored in my life by learning these languages.
I love having a holistic approach when teaching and language learning is intrinsically a holistic learning. I believe that languages are truly learnt by experiencing them fully, by speaking, by doing.
The Language Rose aims to give language students a creative learning experience that make them successful communicators and life-long language learners. The “rose” of languages includes Italian, Spanish, French and English for Spanish and Italian speakers – and I hope to add more in the future!
Being on a one-to-one course at The Language Rose is a unique experience that starts and ends with you. It relates the language to your interests and passions and makes it relevant to your own world and your life goals.
Enrolling a group course at The Language Rose means learning with like minded individuals who are willing to use the language actively, to take risks and enjoy the learning process together – with a good dose of sense of humor.
The course programmes are built around your needs and aims and, being also a trained artist, I personally design all my resources and teaching material which are also highly customisable (and pretty!Because I love pretty things! )for all my students .
Learning different languages has allowed me to have amazing opportunities and life-changing experiences and The Language Rose is my attempt to open up to people like you a whole new world of possibilities and achievements.
Learning a new language brings you more than just a new language skill, it develops your brain and memory, it builds up your communication skills, it boosts your confidence, it makes you more resilient, and it allows you to connect with people you’d never imagine to be able to speak to.
Whether you want to learn a new language for your career, your studies or for the sheer pleasure of learning something new, it’s my promise to you that it’ll change your life -and the way you look at it.
Learn a new language. Create your new life path.
QUALIFIED TO GIVE YOU THE BEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE
Beneath the goofy personality and the funny foreign accent, I’ve got some wicked qualifications and accomplishments under my belt that make me the perfect teacher to help you learn the language you love.
I graduated from the Italian university “l’Orientale” with a first class honours degree in Modern Languages, specialising in Spanish and English. My degree results are testament to my competence in Italian, Spanish as well as English and I also completed a Subject Knowledge Enhacement Course at the University of West England in 2012 (which included also a study period in the wonderful Rouen) that allowed me to successfully teach French too.
In 2011 I completed the Master in Translation, Writing and Cultural Difference at the University of Warwick in Coventry and in 2013 I got my Postgraduate Certificate in Education, PGCE (M), from the University of East Anglia. My progress throughout the training was graded as ‘outstanding’ and the year after I started my teaching career in secondary schools in England. In 2015 I officially began my personal take on teaching languages, free from the constraints of any curriculum or institution rules, by working as a language tutor for groups and individuals, and finally in 2016, I founded The Language Rose.
In addition to my language and teaching related degrees, I’m also a qualified cartoonist who studied Comics Art and illustration and the Scuola Internazionale di Comics in Rome from 2003 to 2007. I put my creative and artistic spirit in every lesson and resource I create for my students in order to aid their learning and foster motivation and engagement.
I’ve been humbled by all the kind comments and support I have received since I started The Language Rose. My goal is to provide you with a lighthouse, a road map, to allow you to achieve your language learning goals and to become the best communicator you can ever be.
Are you ready to learn? I’d be honored to help!
Here are 10 facts about me that you’d never think they are about a “teacher” (the serious,boring kind! You know, which one!)
- Dessert is my favourite part of a meal – and I never skip it!
- I am Italian but I dislike coffee and wine… (yes, you’ve read it right!)
- …and I love having beer with my favourite pizza (margherita con mozzarella di bufala)!
- I L-O-V-E sparkling things! Just like a magpie!
- My family is a very traditional Southern Italian family, where names are passed down through generation. In fact, when I was born my dad wanted to name me after my grandma, however my mum and my grandma have the same name. So finally, it was decided to name me after my auntie, in order to avoid confusion (really?!) ! This is also why almost all my cousins are called Carmine -they are named after my granddad and my sister is called Carmela (which is the masculine name for Carmine and the name of my other grandmother!)! I just let you imagine the chaos when we talk about them!
- I’d never live in a city without a river or sea. It makes me claustrophobic!
- I love people who don’t fit inside the box and whose integrity is far greater than any rule book.
- I have a very loud laugh (just like the Italian show girl Raffaella Carrá) and people say that it’s contagious -don’t hang out with me if you don’t love laughing!
- In my teeneage years and in my early twenties I was an avid reader of mangas (sometimes still now!)! And I also started to learn Japanese!
- I have massive solo-dancing (and singing!) parties every time something cool happens to me. Sometimes it’s just a kind email, sometimes it’s just because I am in a good mood…and it’s SALSA TIME (Yes , I love latin dance!)!
WHAT MY STUDENTS SAY ABOUT ME
“I would highly recommend Ermy for Spanish tuition, she is very patient and makes learning Spanish feel comfortable as you can have a conversation with her to practice as a friend which makes language flow much easier! She has great resources and doesn’t just stick to one way of learning each lesson which gives a good variety such as listening, music, flash cards and conversational.” – Ellen Jeffrey (one to one Spanish course)
“I found Ermy’s patience and courtesy invaluable in the language course and I would have no hesitation in recommending Ermy if starting to learn Italian from scratch.”
– Chris Greenwood (one to one Italian course)
“Excellent teaching, every lesson has been very, very enjoyable and I can’t praise Ermy enough. ” – Ben Russell (one to one Italian course)
“The short time we have spent together you have given me lots of confidence and for that I thank you very much.” – John Craddock (one to one Italian course) >>read more
t’s learn the*
GET IN TOUCH
So, that’s enough about me! I can’t wait to hear from you! What’s the biggest obstacle you are facing in your language learning? Why are you learning that specific language? Tell me by writing at email@example.com